Monday, April 11, 2011

Beet-Hoven's Symphony #9


My listening experience with Beet Stretch was less more than good. It allowed me to experience my favorite of Beethoven's works in a entirely new way. It was quite strange hearing the 2nd movement, which I know quite well, drawn out to such extreme lengths. But since the tone remains the same, I can pick out (maybe not precisely, but close) the part of the song that I am currently listening to. When you concentrate really hard on the music, you almost seem to experience new sounds and vibrations from the wood instruments that you have never heard before. When the music gets loud it seems like such a climactic event, the sounds all meshing together, in no real sense of uniformity. Although this music is very abstract it is very pleasant, especially during crescendo, when the music seems to be all around you.
It gives an almost engulfing feeling. If this is because I was wearing headphones while listening I don't know... I am however, sorry for the haphazard description, which may be attributed to my listening of the Beet Stretch on headphones at this very moment. To tell the truth I only really listened to the 2nd Movement. I thought I would try a different track my second time around, but I enjoyed it far too much. I thought it would be a GOOD idea to listen to it while writing, but now I'm not so sure. I mean look at this tangent it got me on. Anyways, back to my amorous feelings for it.
I love the feeling of harmony, no body seems to be off tempo, even slowed down to this rate where it can be closely scrutinized, the music still sounds beautiful. But at points the beauty is a little more on the subjective side. After a while the reverberation begins to sound like voices, especially during decrescendo. I don't think a person can help but associate this music with outer space. When you close your eyes you can definitely see yourself suspended in space, floating in zero gravity while this music plays in the background. Now I could understand how some people would not enjoy this. I definitely have to be in the right state of mind to really enjoy this. But I am very glad that I was shown this because it's definitely going to find it's way on my i-tunes library one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment