Monday, February 21, 2011

Animation: Orthodox vs. Experimental

I find it very interesting how Wells separates what he calls "Orthodox" animation, from Experimental animation. It explains in a relatively simple way the techniques used that separates one form of animation from the other. For instance it makes so much sense to see how orthodox animation is configured and given a certain unity. However, the experimental animation thrives upon the idea of creating abstract connections. The experimental animation also meshes multiple styles of animation to create one giant melting pot of images. Orthodox animation rarely switches styles, not only because it would be confusing, but because it would be unrealistic. Though these things make sense to me right off the bat, I never would have thought of it before.

It may sound naive, but until just recently I figured most every form of animation was simply to draw a picture, photograph it, draw a slightly different picture, photograph it, etc. Now that I know better, animation is more dynamic than I ever could have figured. I find it interesting that dialogue is so important in orthodox animation. I never really realized until now that most of my favorite cartoon characters had catch phrases that repeat at least once an episode. Whereas the experimental mode of animation still relies heavily on sound, it is usually more musically driven than dialogue driven. This not only gets rid of the straightforward feel, but also gives it a more rhythmic and interpretive style.

No comments:

Post a Comment