Monday, February 14, 2011

Less Camera


Cameraless filmmaking is very new and exciting to me. I was always somewhat artistically gifted, but haven't had the chance to take a class like this where my creativity can really run wild. I just love how there aren't many rules set in stone when it comes to making films without a camera. Wether you expose the film with light or mark and paint directly on the film, there are seemingly limitless possibilities to making new and beautiful art. Since this is all so new to me, most every project I'm working on becomes an experiment. I'm sure some projects will come out better than others, because for many of the things we are doing it is hard to tell exactly what our work will come out to look like. For instance, it took me a long time to figure out which rayogram was mine, from all the finished rayograms hanging on the wall. Even though we placed our identifying markers on the film, the actual look was so much different than the anticipated look that it was very tough to tell. So it was surprising, but it was very pleasantly surprising.

I'm really excited about going into class tonight and setting up camp in my creative cave. I plan on putting on some good music and getting in the groove of inking and painting my film stock. I have an image in my head about what I want my finished product to look like, but in reality, I don't expect it to look anything like I think it will. That is one of the things I love so much about this creative process, the project are always evolving and new ideas constantly spring up in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment